Sunday, December 12, 2004
Chris in Northestern Hospital
My diagnosis: Hepatitis--A I hope. He went to doc yesterday, was sent to ER. They admitted him last night at about ten. Drew blood last night and hope to have diagnosis today sometime. Symptoms x 2 weeks: Nausea, malaise, headache, jaundice, cloudy urine progressing to black. He was given 2 injections of morphine(at intervals) in ER for headache, which seems excessive to me. He stil had headache at 11:00pm when I spoke to him. I'm waiting for KoF to call with latest. Updates asrecieved. The good old holiday season comes through again. Kelly used to get intractable vomiting on xmas eve when she was a kid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
46 comments:
Oh no!!!!!!
We will be thinking about Chris and KoF, and awaiting further word.
BLACK urine??? WTF???
Best wishes from The Evadewer mansion. Please let us know as there is more news.
I spoke to K at hosp last nite. Apparently they won't even run the Hep blood tests till today. He still yellow with black urine and feeling punk. She will let me know when she knows something, or put it on the blog, whichever. These are the same symptoms OML had when he had Hep A.
Hep doesn't really seem to be the diagnosis.
Haemolysis seems more likely.
See:
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/feb2000/951724197.Me.r.html
Yeah, I support KoAla´s diagnosis with reservations. My piss was never black, and by the second day of symtoms, I knew it was something less run of the mill. It opened with a bang, and then the nausea dragged on and made me want to cash in my chips.
I do know people who´ve had hep who had it progress more slowly, however. I prefer the hep prognosis, because I know I was able to eventually deal with it.
I hope to hear something soon. Thanks.
Thanks for the well-wishes. The hep test wasn't back today, so we're back to waiting and hope to know tomorrow morning. His CT scan (?) showed an enlarged spleen, and his platelet count is low, which could be a result of an enlarged spleen, or both (the enlarged spleen and low platelet count) could be due to a bad viral (Hepatitis A we hope, as you know) infection. His fever comes and goes.
He seems much better today after a bad night; he's a least a little less yellow, eating a bit, not puking, and they've found a remedy for his headaches: Dilaudad [sp?].
Hey, his sister, who is taking anti-seizure medicine, wonders about little ED's medicine and schedule. She's been on medicine since she was a kid and had only four seizures, all when she's been off medication.
Hugs and kisses,
bedpan
The littlest EvaDewer is on Lamictal, 150mg, twice a day, though it's going up to 200 following a partial this weekend (one of a few in recent weeks). It upsets her a lot; aside from the obvious reasons, she doesn't want the attention and concern from others.
They seem to be associated not so exclusively with sleep deprivation, but rather with sleep pattern disruption, including sleeping in very late on a Saturday. Gotta watch that, especially with the holidays approaching.
Then let us never speak of it again on a blog.
Love and good night.
I'm a little puzzled by the low platelet thing. I don't like this. Fingers crossed. Buddha invoked. Fates cursed out loud. Waiting.
Did anyone read my link?
"Hi Duffy,
There are a few reasons for black urine:
1) A build-up of haemoglobin ( Hb for short ) products in the urine
2) Colourings such as food dyes or drugs in the urine.
Haemoglobin products have 2 sources -
In the first the components of Hb are not put together properly because of an enzyme deficiency, this condition is called porphyria and it is a genetic disease....
...The other source of Hb products is the destruction of red blood cells (RBCs for short) which is called haemolysis. Once the Hb is released from the RBCs it starts to form breakdown products, one of which is bilirubin - this causes the yellow discolouration of skin, eyes, plasma and urine in jaundice.
The more breakdown products present in the urine the darker the discolouration from bright yellow through orange to dark brown / black.
If the kidneys are damaged by the disease process causing the haemolysis or if there is surgery affecting the kidneys, bladder or connected organs then intact RBCs can pass into the urine adding to the discolouration of the urine.
There are many causes of haemolysis..."
Please go to the page and see what you think.
I did go to that website, Gockypoo, and printed the page. Then I left the thing at home, but will bring it to the hospital tomorrow. The test results have ruled out any kind of Hepatitis. More tests and liver specialists today; we'll talk to the various doctors tomorrow about a game plan. There's talk of liver biopsy, but it's a procedure to be avoided if possible.
Darn Gock, you're good. I did go to the site, but ruled that out because there was no mention of jaundice. So, Not Hep. What about anything to do with animal contact, cat scratch fever comes to mind, but that's the extent of my knowledge of that.
That "this causes the yellow discolouration of skin" thing? That would be jaundice. Google is your friend.
I believe that the yellow is cause by bile. Right KoAla? I also darkens the urine in Hep cases, as well as gall bladder problems. Right Eva?
But enough of that. HOW DOES HE FEEL NOW!? Are the symtoms persisting? Headache?
Tell him I´m thinking about him. That´s praying for agnostics. Maybe I´m praying. I don´t know.
I don't remember having any discoloration associated with the gall bladder problem.
Malaria? Used to be called Black Water Fever. Actually, I skimmed the site Gock, and overlooked the "discoloration of the skin" thing. Sorry. Should the kidneys be investigated now? Damn, that headache has to be maddening. Regards.
Okay, this topic has become boring as hell, so I'll be brief. Chris is home from the hospital. The diagnosis: probably some kind of raging viral infection that caused the liver and spleen to swell, among other things. Tests are still out, and visits to doctors upcoming, but fever not as bad, nasea gone, appetite slightly better, platelet count normal, and liver functioning (although still swollen). Therefore, safe to come home and recuperate. Depending on test results, we'll go with Gock's diagnosis. Thanks for the kind words and stuff. Chris appreciates your concern.
Further reading I see that Gock didn't really provide a diagnosis, but an explanation. Anyway, bilirubin count was high (still up there but dropping), and the hope is because of the build up of those products referred to in the article (instead of the genetic disease, which was once on this list of possibilities, and kind of still is but the assumption is it is unlikely).
. . . and I was going to be brief.
KOF - Thanks for keeping us all up to date. Glad he's feeling a little better. Please continue to send him our best.
In the spirit of this thing, doesn't he need a nom de blog?
Cautious jubilation on the home front. Prognosis positive. Please continue to give detailed reports as you get them. This is not in the least boring; faschinating rather.What about the headaches? Pert says have they given him any medicine whatsoever? I told him viris doesn't respond to antibiotics. He said you mean not even a couple of ccs of medication? Ibet they did. Best wishes. Buddha is indifferent, as always.
Yeah, I was kinda wondering about the headache part as well. Thanks for the update, I´m glad he´s feeling better. You probably don´t need to be told this, but he should not drink even as little as a drop of alchohol, should avoid fatty foods, and high concentrations of vitamins and the like.
The reason I say this, is because the doctor I went to didn´t mention that any of these things could tax my liver. They do, trust me. Liver pills, and most "fat-burning supplements and powders" are probably also a no-no.
My bad on the Eva looked Chinese thing. What was I thinking? Good idea on Gock´s part, too. I just hope it is just a viral infection. Keep giving him my best: The way Buddy does.
This is a message to KoF from Pert. "Report Chris's condition daily on the blog! That's all" Actually he says to me, youneed to telol K to report Chris's condition daily. She didn't report yesterday, did she?
Q: Headaches? Nausea? Jaundice? Urine color? Rash? Swelling?
Hope you have room for one more on this here blog. KoF is out stocking up on provisions for the next few days so I thought I'd fill everybody in the best I could since I actually have some energy finally. Went to hospital today for follow-up, blood test results for CMV Mono were inconclusive, need to be rerun. Blood test results for Hepatitis-C (only precautionary, rerun a 2nd time due to fact that apparently you could rarely catch it from sweat, salivia, other innocuous means,) not back yet. They took more blood today, won't know anything until tomorrow at earliest. Lymph nodes slightly swollen, liver and spleen still enlarged. That's normal for viral type infection. Vicodin helping headache, still weak and tired most of the time. Fever seems to go away during the day and comes back during middle of night. Have sweat through 5-6 t-shirts the past two days. Urine not black anymore but still dark and cloudy. Nausea not a problem although Vicodin tend to make me feel a little "off" sometimes. So basicly we still don't know anything for sure yet but Epstein-Barr Mono virus seems to be what's popular at the moment. I see the liver specialist on Wednesday but hope to have blood results from above tests before that time. KoF has been an angel on my bedside this entire time. She's taken care of me in every possible way, especially when I was whiney, miserable, pain in the ass no doubt, all the while dealing with work, the dogs and cats and everything else we have here. They don't make 'em any better. Thanks to all of you for all your thoughts, well wishes, humor, detective work, Buddah involking and the like. Getting a little hungry, gonna grab a bite then back to bed. Love to all.
Damm. It is so good to hear Jo Jo's voice by blog. You give great info. So glad to know you feel well enough to blog. You know this means you will be expected to contribute regularly now. Don't overdo, but you or the angel keep us up to date as you get more reports. Pert and koALa are happy campers just to read your note.
I'm very happy to read...........Jo Jo's post, and that he is feeling better.
That stuff he said about KoF has to be lies, though. She's no angel. I mean, she locked OML in the basement!
Willkommen bei da Blog, JJG. I wish you were feeling better than you are, but must nevertheless say that hearing your voice made my day!
You of course don´t have to feel obligated to spend all your time in this thing, especially not until you have the stength for it, but as writing is one of your interests, and when you´re not wrangling the creatures.....
Regarding the King locking me in the basement, her excuse was two-fold:
1) At the time, she was responding to the "peer" pressure being applied by the majority of her siblings, being the only girl wasn´t and apparently--recalling the most recent family outing as it was relayed to me in GA--still isn´t easy.
2) She was hoping I would find the treasure hidden in the bottom of the front bedroom closet.
You go, K of F! You da man!!
Thank you for the warm reception at the Castle de Blog. Hearing about OML's horrific tale made me suddenly realize that the females outnumber the males in this happy home so I would have to agree with excuse (reason) #1, although I'll proceed with caution the next time KoF suggests scavenger hunt as our next "fun time" activity. If anything happens to me, Gock, OML and the EvaDewer can have my Neil Diamond cassette collection. Share and share alike. Until that time, no need for koALa to worry, regular contributions will be attempted.
And now on to some dull medical jargon...
1.Liver enzyme levels. this is what got me into trouble in the first place. Last week in the hospital 370(very high and bad), last night 220, normal is 0-40.
2.Bilirubin- a by-product of hemoglobin, measures liver dysfunction. Last week in hospital 4.2 (very high and bad). Last night 2.5, normal is 1.
3.An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
The above levels dropping seem to go hand in hand with my feeling a little better each day. Picked up a sore throat a couple days ago, everything else pretty much the same, other test results not back yet. Peace on Earth...and Jupiter.
JJG is a good reporter and I'm sure KoF is relieved to be relieved of one duty/chore/exercise.
Be sure, JJ to mention the sore throat to someone on your medical team. !!!
Hope for continued progress in the right direction.
Yeah, well he's no Jo Jo Starbuck, lemme tell ya, cause she was...
Good to hear the progress, as well as the cautious optimism run roughshod associated with it. I think we can all agree that JoJo's health would be the best present we could get this year. Unless there's a chance that I'm getting an iPod. Then the health thing would be second, which is still pretty good. And not the Mini, either. The 40 gig machine. I'm a slut, but not a cheap one.
Can we please make sure that they have checked for sepsis?
Because:
http://www.lilly.com/products/conditions/sepsis.html
What is Jo Jo's white count?
What Gock says!!! Sepsis, plus Strep + of lesser importance a TB test. Read Gock's Lilli site.
Gock and koALa's concern about sepsis/strep/tb and white blood cell count will be brought up when I see the doctor tonight for this nasty sore throat. Feels like I'm swallowing daggers. Anybody know if the circus is in town?
We accept you, we accept you, one of us, one of us...
Dear OML, thank you for the support and forgiveness.
Dear Gock, thank you for the information.
Dear Eva, thank you for the acceptance.
Dear koALa, thank you.
Dear Pert, club fingers.
Bonk bonk on the head. Doctor ruled out sepsis and t.b. based on symptoms, but plans to call tomorrow to see what's up. White blood cell count is normal, more blood drawn today for tests to keep tracking liver function. No HIV. Hep C results not in. Strep throat not obvious in swap, culture growing. For now, no antibiotics for fear of rash. Liver specialist tomorrow.
JoJo is digging on the blog, but probably because he thinks it's all about him, selfish prick.
No way!!! It´s all about me, me, me. Love, Marsha. I mean Jan. I mean the blog killer.
I hope this post will be the last one on the topic of JoJo's illness. The liver specialist is confident that he has mono. The strep culture came back negative, and the throat pain has diminished. The liver enzyme and bilirubin [sp] levels are much closer to normal, and JoJo is a tad bit less pathetic.
Thanks to everyone for the wishes and prayers and concern (feigned or not); we are happy that he feels better and can finally do something around the house--just kidding. I suspect he'll be lounging for quite some time to come.
I just got home from work, am so happy to be home; we are going to have a peaceful, quiet, relaxing, happy dog and cat Christmas. May all of you be as content as we are right now.
We love you all more than you'll probably ever realize.
Sorry, I can´t just let sleeping dogs lie to me. Make sure he doesn´t have either bird flu or gulf war syndrom.
The liver specialist is confident that he has mono.
Well, WTF? I'm glad the liver specialist knows what ails him, but what about Jo Jo?
Seriously, that's bizzare. I never heard of mono doing that broad of damage before. Pretty much tells me that KoF needs to ease up of his back, that's what!
I am really, uh, puzzled by the mono diagnosis. Also by which other symptoms are needed to instigate a more thorough investigation of sepsis. Glad of no strep.
How close to normal are the blood values getting? Is there still fever? Stiff neck and shoulders? Malaise? Headaches requiring strong class 4 drugs? Swollen liver and speen? Cloudy urine? I guess if it seems to be getting better a firm diagnosis isn't really necessary, but still.... With mono I was unfamiliar with all of these symptoms except the sore throat, fever, but not that high or that bad, and the malaise. Best to both of you and all your creatures. Sign me: Still Sketical
Heterophil antibody titer This is a test for mono to be used after the illness has been going two weeks. Has that been done? Not always conclusive, but pretty good. I been reading at NHI and see those symptoms can be part of mono. Sorry. And that the Epstien Barr viris test is an early one for mono. So is the mono a definite conclusion now?
No, the final diagnosis is still no diagnosis. This was just what the liver specialist said, partly to explain the lack of need for a liver biopsy, I think. Chris goes to see his internist on the 30th, when we hope to have more test results. Is mystery still, really. Merry Christmas!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KING of FOOLS. WE LOVE YOU.
Yeah, I do agree that to do a liver biopsy now would not help that much, since the problem does seem more systemic that just liver. It's not usually life-threatening, but it is an unpleasant proceedure. That "usually" is the caution of a medical person.And I guess with SEPSIS the symptoms probly wouldn't be diminishing, although I don't know. I'll be interested to hear from the other doc. Take notes, Jo Jo, there will be questions later. What about the HEADACHES and STIFF NECK and FEVER?
Well, the pain (sore throat, headache, stiff neck) part of all this seems to be gone(fingers crossed). I do however, have this cloudy fatigue that seems to be lingering. I'm weening myself off of the painkiller Norco little by little, maybe a little withdrawl setting in? Yeah, the doctors seem to be satisfied with Mono, but that could be because nothing else is jumping out. Mono does damage the liver about 20% of the time as well as the spleen, both of which I had or have. Sore throats always come at the onset of symptoms not at the end. Some things make sense here, others don't. I do keep feeling a little better every day and the liver levels are dropping to around 100 as of a couple days ago. We'll see what happens when I see my doc on Thurs.
Okay. Still curious about:
1. Cloudy urine?
2. Blood levels?
2. Hep C results from second test?
4. Fever and sweating?
Also, being a recovering person I am concerned that JJ get off narcotics ASAP when there is no more pain warrenting them.
If it is mono, there could be a long, several months possibly, period of tiredness.
Rx: vitimins, healthful diet, plenty of water, plenty of rest interspersed with mild exercise.
Post a Comment