Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Granny Has Passed

Sometime this evening. Ken & Rog will arrange. P says he won't go, but I think he will. I think he needs to and I plan to push him to do it. Don't know details yet. Will let you know. Location is at Akins Funeral HOme on Highway 5 in Blue Ridge. (7871 Blue Ridge Drive Blue Ridge, GA)

29 comments:

the EvaDewer said...

Sorry.

I'll be there with Agatha. Won't press T3 and 4.

alslee said...

Thanks. P has gone to bed. He says he will let me know in the morning whether he will go or not.

alslee said...

Funeral Friday at noon. P still not decided. More later.

alslee said...

Calling Tuursday sometime, evening, I think. P still not talking.

Gock said...

Thursday, like, tomorrow?

alslee said...

Sorry, I was off. Yes, calling tomorrow, I think evening. We definitely wouldn't make that. And P is still not talking about it. Last thing was he can't go. He did call Rog to give him the phone #s of the sisters in Illinoin and told Rog to tell them to not come as it was too far and they are not well.

alslee said...

This family is so sad, and frustrating. They don't talk at all. Just the facts.

alslee said...

Not us, the P's family. You guys are great. But my sisters would be...oh well, you know. They do have their good points, which I appreciate more as I get older and more experienced.

alslee said...

That's calling as in viewing at the funeral home the night before the funeral. AKA wake, amongst papists.

alslee said...

Okay. P & I will be there, very late Thursday night and go to the funeral Friday. KOF is driving here tomorrow morning in a rental (suv) and we leave tomorrow sometime for GA.

the EvaDewer said...

Ag and I will go down tomorrow to make ready the compound, and intend to stay through the weekend.

Once you get past the sadness, and the missing, and all that other trivial stuff, those who can attend should remember: This will end up being fun, and you should plan on it being that way.

It sounds cliche, but that's what Granny would want. So break out the chips and guac, a cold beer or diet Coke, a movie or two, and let's celebrate!

And I'm gonna wear Papaw's tie. :)

alslee said...

I've written 6 comments and they all sound too crass, unkind, politically incorrect, or dumb to put on paper (or bytes.)
The only advice Granny ever gave me was "If you don't want anyone to know, don't write it down."
She meant in a letter; that was back in the day, but it still applies. See y'all.

alslee said...

I love the internet. I've stopped the mail, the newspaper, sent flowers, played 72 games of freecell--oh wait, that's not the net, is it. P is reading, silently.He did acknowledge appreciation of EVA's latest comment, and agree that it should be that way.

alslee said...

Update. Vehicle containing KOF etc. will be leaving the compound Sunday AM in order for KOF to get to work on Monday. Thank you for your attention.

davidly said...

I quess it's silly to say I won't make it, but I really wish I could. Maybe just for the chips (thanks Eva). I don't know how I'd survive the trials of life without our family's sense of humor, not to mention this forum. It's nice to know you guys are there- and will be down there as well.

alslee said...

Yes, survival is definitely dependent on a sense of humor, or total indifference, or megadenial.
Yesterday I was at ECHO talking to the building guy and drinking a coke from a can, except i slopped a splash on my shirt, SO he says, laughing, 'Do you need a straw, or maybe a sippy cup?' That's one reason I like him.

The more I'm with P now the more I believe he is not so much about Granny right now as he is about his life and future. He's napping now.

Anonymous said...

Update II:

JoJo will be piloting SUV-type vehicle en route to and from compound.

Anonymous said...

We will envoke the name of OML in a merry way many times during our trip.

alslee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alslee said...

That's fab. Will there be likkeralong with the invoking on this trip?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, almost certainly, assuredly, beyond question, by far, certainly, clearly, decidedly, definitely, doubtlessly, indeed, indisputably, indubitably, no doubt, plainly, positively, probably, surely, truly, undeniably, undoubtedly, unequivocally, unquestionably, yes.

What is a likkeralong?

alslee said...

Sorry. Likker along.

the EvaDewer said...

What is a likkeralong?

5 to 10 inches, depending.

Anonymous said...

O I C.

alslee said...

P & k & KOF & JJ leaving the tower in a dodge van about 2:30pm our time.
bringing corned beef & rye heels

davidly said...

I still don't get it.

davidly said...

The edge of a scary river.

alslee said...

Heck, I don't get half of what's on here, but don't get what OML?
Sunday night back in the tower. KOF & JJG on way north to their dogs etc. P watching tv. (Don't have tv at the compound. We had a ball, talk talk talk and Agatha painted a naked madonna & swaddled child on the bathroom wall. Cool.

alslee said...

Here's the closing for this subject entry.

P & I had a really good talk last night wherein I told him how I admired him and was proud of how he took care of G&G. I iterated:
(in the true sense of the word, which, unfortunately, is my wont. I looked it up)

He took them to visit G's two sisters in Illinois, took them to W.Va. Taught G to drive. Took them shopping weekly. Visited daily.
Arranged varied appropriate housing for them, as it was needed. All the other things I watched him do day in and day out. He took care of them himself as long as he could and then arranged good care for them by others.
Of course, that's all my talking part.

His was pretty much, I know. Thank you. Well, I did okay. Uh huh. Thanks.

Point being, he is doing well, went to sleep happy, and feels good about himself.

He had a wonderful visit with you all and is glad to be home.

He now has happy closure. (sorry, sometimes cliches fit)
Thanks to all who made it possible.