Road trip
friday night feeling
caffeine buzz
music on the radio
free, high, sing along
tires hum
cracked window whistles
gas up, pee, more coffee
flying
I'm somebody else tonight
Have fun Gock!
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
26 comments:
Crappy middle-of-the-night burnt gas station coffee
rumble strip wakes you up just in time
relentless gas, but too cold to roll down the windows
truck stop hookers
other drivers turn on flashers in the rain
truckers conspire to keep you in back
...
Hell, I'd do it!
Have a blast! (but hold out for Waffle House coffee)
Ima hava gootime fosho!
Don't stare at him too long. He hates that, and 'd probably end the show early. Have a good time.
Yeah for Gyin! Hurrah for Gyin!
Frippy Ky Yay!
It's midnight and KOF and JJ are both high. Let's have a moment of solemnity for the idea of Gock travelin' as a Fripp groupie, having a wonderful time. Wish we were there.
Be sure and take some pics for me, man!
Maybe I'm not getting the true picture here. Is Gock a roadie now?
I'm going to be posting some observations about three shows (Charlotte, Greenville, and Athens) once I get it all composed and run by my co-attendy.
There is much to tell, believe me.
From his POV (Charlotte).
Wow, that diary thing is pretty interesting. Thanks OML. I can't wait to see Gock's take on the tour now.
[feather ruffling mode on]
My "burning question": "With respect to your apparent disdain for your (live) audience: Why do you keep this Q&A session in the show? Is this for our entertainment or yours?"
Or: "Do you think that you might be able to answer one of the questions from the audience, all of whom paid good money to be in your presence, most of whom worship you, without behaving as if the questions are beneath you?"
[frm off]
Am I completely off base here?
Trying to comment again.
Trouble with it lately.
Well, ok.
Completely? Probably not. Mostly? With a nod to my possible lack of objectivity, I think so.
I really need to finish my writeup. It will show 1) Fripp being inexplicable kind and courteous to really idiotic questioners, 2) Fripp being snarky to only a select few jerks who were really begging for it, and 3) that the composition of the audience on the evening in question was not "mostly people who worship" him, and, I suspect, not all of whom paid to be in his presence. Neither of which you could have known or suspected without being there. Amazing, really.
I think I'll probably have this thing done and posted in the Monday evening timeframe. Yes, I'm slow as molasis.
I'll allow that it's a mistake on my part to presume that the disposition of those inclined to review the shows on his website represent a fair cross-section of the attendees. Not only that, I'm certain that there are a fair share of bozos at the show (those that you told me about, and more) that would incur the wrath of any reasonable performer.
Nonetheless, the attitude that comes across on his entries, not just about the crowd, but accommodations, meals, etcetera, is a little snarky, and not in an "isn't this funny" kinda way. I think that my attitude toward asking a question, were I to attend a show, would be one of fear of reprisal for not asking a "worthy" question. It sounds as if it's not an enjoyable part of the show for him, except to, perhaps, gain another story about what some idiot asked him the night before.
Like you said, I'm getting the "bottom of the barrel" highlights of questions being asked, as well as some of their pithy answers. From your commentary, I trust that there were far more thoughtful, pleasant answers than there were "stick that beer bottle up your ass" ones. As someone who didn't attend, I'll certainly yield to your assessment over what I've been able to glean.
Caveat:
I never saw the man. I only heard him at Gock's. I read a book about his history and his education and about his esoteric (my definition) approach to his art. I'm pretty old, too.
Thinking about Gurdjief(sp?), Bennett, the compound, the adulators and imitators in the past, I am convinced he is an unusual person, but I am afraid I would feel like Eva said about asking a question if I were in his presence, not to mention totally intimidated. Hell, he was a guru, not just in music, in lifestyle.
I wonder if he expected, or at least hoped for, audiences full of fans who saw him as a god and if he expected/wanted to recapture the old feelings from his past. A sort of fabulously widely acclaimed 'last' tour.
He has insisted many times, and I agree, that his art (maybe all art) consists of the performers, the audience who participates and feeds the performer's energy, and the thing that happens between and among them. Sounds like somebody didn't play the part he was expecting and he was really, really unhappy about that.
I'm guessing, from the little I've read so far about the concerts, that he was dissappointed, perhaps embarrassed inside himself, and saddened. I'm thinking of other old men--the Rolling Stones, etc.--who, at least as I imagine Fripp might think, have much less talent and depth than he does.
How could he help comparing.
Hell, I have no idea what I'm talking about, Fripp-wise, I'm thinking about a star who got older and less popular and had a really bubble-bursting tour.
I don't rule out, also from what I read about him, that sometimes he is just a jerk, a talented, admired, arrogant jerk.
I wish I could have been there. I'm pretty sure, in the circumstances, considering the locations, I'd have disdained some of the attendees too. And I'd really love to have heard and seen him in person.
If you've read this far, bless you, you have a wonderfully long attention span.
I'm laughing out loud, hard. Gock, I'm pretty sure that you'd score a photgraph with him--you and him together--after that question.
Kaola, you haven't written a post that long since I can't remember when. Had you just finished your morning coffee? Of course I read the whole thing: it was interesting.
Agatha knocks one out of the park!
Yeah, I'll never live that one down, unless I can top myself this year. I hear Priscilla Barnes will be in the house for this one. I wonder if she remembers that Penthouse spread she did under another name in the '70s?
July 28th , 29th and 30th. Mark yo calendars.
Again, Agatha comes up with the perfect one-liner.
Aside from P's medical investigations, is this the longest, most comments, blog yet? Surely ADMIN keeps a record somewhere.
This is me, speaking for everyone I'm sure, when I say we're clamoring for Gock's and his fellow attendy's reviews of the abovementioned tour.
Also, it occurs to me, attempting to extend the length of this comment string to set a record, since I started it. Any record is better than no record.
I posted something a few days ago, that somehow didn't make it to the site. Just as well, because I expressed shock at Eno's heart-attack, and realize now that I'm missing something. Anyway, I basically said that at the several shows I saw where he did his soundscapes, and the one in particular where he followed up with a Q&A, he was nothing but polite and friendly, even to the dickwads who seemed to be asking the questions and making demands.
The Crusty Guitarist posted someone's comment on his diary, followed by a brief comment which indicates that he just might have a sense of humo(u)r (pasted below). I wonder just how it is that he "succumbed".
I wonder12.32 Boooooo: Posted by Triple_F on March 17, 2006
Why no diary entry for the St. Louis show? Perhaps slight embarassment at finally succumbing to the will of the audience? To quote The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase "Everybody’s got a price”…
Sadly, no one has yet offered me my price (although I live in hope, and attempts to satiate venal lust are encouraged. The delay in posting diary entries is a result of dealing with a wide range of responsibilities, one of which is earning a living. Oh! How I suffer.
Oh joy, another post to 'following.' When do you suppose we will see a really long one telling us about the southeastern tour from a firsthand point of view?
Post a Comment