Kristen had a seizure this morning, but is OK now.
She had been at a sleepover last night (and, of course, got very little sleep). While Dave was taking her home, she was expressing a strong desire to go straight home to sleep. On the way, she started "twitching". The twitching got more animated, and she returned a little of the dinner from the night before, and fell asleep in the car. Upon arrival home, Dave couldn't wake her up to go inside, so he took her to the emergency room, where they hooked her up to an IV and the usual array of monitoring devices, where she got a little sleep, and gradually felt a lot better.
A number of tests were run, including a CAT scan, none of which indicated any problems. We've been recommended to a Neurologist, and will go as soon as we can get an appointment, but it's not an emergency. Concensus is that we'll find nothing. The doctor at the hospital declined to start her on any drugs, citing that 50% of people who have a seizure never have another one, and recommended that we just equip people with whom she'll share time with what to do if it happens again.
The net for the moment is this: She's just to take it easy and try to get a regular food and sleep schedule. During the seizure, she pulled a muscle in her back (sore, but not too bad), bit her tongue (kinda nasty), and is sore on her arm where the IV was. I'll let you know more as we get information from the neurologist.
Wednesday, June 16, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I feel funny responding to such information this way, but I'm going to anyway. Man oh man. Poor girl. I'm glad the doctor isn't eager to put her on medication. Tell us the test results and give us the information for those nearby--the what to do and what not to do. I guess you're planning to do that anyway. I've heard the same thing about seizures--that a person can experience one and then never again. (I have some personal--not me--experience with the occurance and had to learn some stuff. Obviously I didn't learn enough if I can't remember the does and don'ts.)
Hey, wait a minute. I'll bet she took a hit of acid. That always makes me convulse.
Give her a kiss for me, unless you don't know who I am and are uncomfortable passing along a kiss from a stranger. Then just kiss your wife for me.
Love and concern,
King of Fools
Oh, man. That's just...so scary. I'm so relieved that she is ok. I can't even begin to imagine how freaked Dave (and Debbie) must have been.
I'm also really really glad they did the scan. That's reassuring (duh).
Give her my love.
The first sentence I typed was, "Scary goes without saying," and then I deleted it. Not because it goes without saying, but because I believe that there is nothing to be scared of, in that you´re concerned. How it was for Dave doesn´t concern me though, as I never liked him much.
I dated someone who was in the fifty percent that had more than one seizure, and she was always fine as long as her diet and sleep patterns were regulated. She has actually had a pair of them while driving. So I dumped her.
I´m told that nowadays one no longer sticks a wallet it the mouth of one who is convulsing. Feel free to stick a wallet in my mouth, especially when I´m listening to one of those "broad bands" like Dixie Chicks on Speed.
Seriously, don´t worry too much. I think she´s gonna be fine. Give her my best. Familial love, that is.
Good grief. Poor girl. Gile her a hug and kiss from me and her grandpa. He doesn't know yet, I just read it, but I'm sure he'll be on his way to Atlanta post haste. (Joke. I won't let him.)
I'm sure everyone knows by now that one can prevent a tongue bite by inserting a folded--folded to only an inch or so wide--handkerchief--or other piece of cloth between the front teeth. I think I may call her.
The doctors have been pretty consistently against sticking stuff in her mouth, even during a seizure. I'm hoping the occasion doesn't present itself again.
Dude. You have a seizure around me....the doctors won't like what *I* do.
Okay, so we don't put anything in her mouth, but in Gock's mouth we
No you di int!
Not "IN" the mouth. Just barely between the front teeth. Or you could use your finger. That way you're sure the person can't choke on it or swallow it--unless, of course, the person bites off the inserted finger--in which case, the person who inserted finger has bigger fish to fry, so to speak, if you will. Whatever, do what the doc says. The person might then qualify for the Ellen James(Janes?) society. Gock and King are sacreligious and and...something.
Post a Comment