Tuesday, November 02, 2004

It is Happening, Again

I hope that I'm wrong, but this day will've been lost long before the voices are "counted". Knowing what we've known, having lived Florida, being aware of the shared interests of the machines that are now in place, and at least having suspected what is to come, we've done little to stop it from happening again. As I write, it is happening again. The pols have just opened in the East.

14 comments:

Gock said...

I just came from the polling place at the Salvation Army on South Shelby. Bobby Glen was working, and asked me to say hello to everybody. He lived at 522 McCarty from '95 - '02!

I am concerned, I am concerned. The totalitarian bastards are leaving no stone underned in trying to *prevent* people from voting. I don't know what more you need to know than that; the party of "the fewer votes, the better." I've been saying all along that the margin of victory is going to be large enough that state by state triffling over ballots will be inconsequential, but I'm much more worried. The reports of malfeasance are widespread, and the methods employed are diverse.

In Ohio, they have prevented people from using registration forms that "aren't thick enough" (because they came from the newspaper), and they have deployed goons to "challenge" voters.

In Nevada, they employed a firm to register voters which systematically discarded opposing party registrations.

In the southwest, they had "volunteers" out at early voting places, conspicuously writing down the license plate numbers of Native American voters. This practice has been banned for election day...in one county.

All this is before Diebold even gets their crooked little hands on the votes.

This shit can not stand.

alslee said...

We did our duty last week, to no avail of course, since we live where we do. Still, the Red Sox won, miracles can happen.
However, I feel sad, like a dark cloud hangs over all of us and this country. Cycles in history are so slow and it may be decades or even centuries before a revolution gains enough strength to force another election here.
I'd just like to run away from it all, but there is no place to run. Let's all get together and get drunk at midnight tonight--oh, wait, I can't do that.
I hate waiting.

Gock said...

I had a shot of Patron from my Disneyworld shotglass when they called Florida for Gore last time.

alslee said...

I guess Bobby Glen(n?) was leav ing McCarty about the time I moved in. He must still be in the neighborhood if he works the local polls.

the EvaDewer said...

At 10:35 Eastern, things look bad in Florida, Ohio, and Michigan, and that's all very bad news. I don't know how I'm going to handle it if that thing wins.

I weep for our children.

the EvaDewer said...

There goes Florida. Where do we keep the Drano?

alslee said...

It has taken me much longer than my connection and computer would warrent to get on here. The whole world must be on line now. Or it has already begun. What better way to secure one's hold than to stop the bloggers. I am disheartened and sad that so many of our countrymen like what we have become. Pert says that the other half feel as I do, but it's hard to realize that as I sit here in the bible belt listening to the rain. What to do now?

davidly said...

As long as there isn´t a candidate who is willing to speak the truth as Gock has put it, and stand up and really fight with more than just rhetoric and catch phrases, then the chimplicity will prevail, for there is no real opposition.

Don´t worry. How bad can things possibly get? Just keep laughing, and by no means should you read or listen to those who get you upset. All the joys of this world are clouded by a shitty mood.

the EvaDewer said...

I'll have what *he's* having.

Gock said...

Look on the bright side. Purdue doesn't lose again for another 3 days!

KiKiDo said...

This comment is a day late and a dollar short, just like all those Democratic voters in Ohio, but I'll put my word in anyway. I am truly disheartened. Is this country really filled with with with--well, yes it is, certainly enough that a little bit of voter fraud and obstruction will give them the edge.

davidly said...

Okay, look. That´s *a lot* of fraud. My own polling indicates that the results of the polls are more of a sham than anyone seems to be willing to admit. I don´t suppose that´ll make anyone feel any better, unless he or she were to take solace in not being so alone.

Now I gotta go. I wanna be alone.

the EvaDewer said...

Re: the Diebold boxes
I cannot imagine a reason that providing a printout for verification and comparison to computed results is not mandatory (other than the obvious underhanded one). The "long pole in the tent" at the polls wasn't the number of machines; there were always plenty available. It was the process people had to go through to get to their machine. Printing the actual votes out for personal verification before putting them into an old fashioned box wouldn't take any longer, and could go a long way toward reinstating trust in the system.

alslee said...

OML is right. People lie to the polls. I would. Face it. And we should have run Dean. The country is full of..oh hell, you know what they are..provide your own epithets. I'm goin' hiking tomorrow. Couldn't hurt, and hikers tend to be liberal, I think.