Monday, November 22, 2004

Sharon's heart surgery

Sometimes I'm not sure if it's tasteful to put news in the blog, particularly of this nature. However, it's as quick a way as any of circulating the latest, and gives everyone a chance to weigh in together. Therefore...

Sharon (our aunt) is in the hospital to have emergency heart surgery. I only spoke to Koala for a minute or two, so I don't know the nature of the problem. However, I do know that she has a blood disorder that is akin to hemophilia, which is why she hasn't had this surgery before now. The fear was that opening her up for heart surgery could be fatal. It's bad enough now that if she doesn't get it done, the heart problem would do her in.

Koaka has gone up to Plainfield (I'm assuming that's where they're still living) to be with her. I expect that she'll be there for a while, certainly through the Thanksgiving weekend. As a result, Thanksgiving dinner will occur in Norx instead of Pertoalaville. I'm going to pick up Pert on Wednesday, and bring him and all of the stuff that Koala got back to Norx, probably Thursday AM. We're still going to plan the dinner to be Friday, as T3 and T4 won't be in my domain until later on Thursday.

More data as it's available.


11 comments:

the EvaDewer said...

I'm not sure if Koala is staying in the 'naptown pad or not. I'm sure Gock will let us know.

KiKiDo said...

How scary. Praying and fretting.

davidly said...

Thanks for the news. I can´t think of a better place to put it. Let´s hope she pulls through.

Gock said...

I've not heard from Koala since I got home last night about 8:30 pm. I'm hoping for the best for Sharon.

the EvaDewer said...

Koala is up visiting Sharon at the hospital. She sounds like she's doing ok. The surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, and Koala will call with any news after that.

the EvaDewer said...

According to Pert, Koala says that Sharon's surgery went well. There was no excessive bleeding, and the next couple of days of recovery are the important ones.

davidly said...

That´s a relief. Thanks for the update, and have a good feast.

the EvaDewer said...

Day 2, and everything's still ducky. Mama talked to Sharon for a couple of minutes, and she's not in pain (Morphine helps on that front).

A word of caution: While the surgeon was very pleased with the operation, it is known that the bleeding problem that Sharon has doesn't typically manifest itself until well after the surgery (the last time was eight days). So things are going well, and she has actually beaten the odds to be here now, but still has some work ahead.

KiKiDo said...

Thank you for the information. I'm cautiously relieved. Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

davidly said...

Last time?? I just hope that she lies real still and breaths really shallow. I can´t imagine.

alslee said...

Sharon's condition. Good. She had been in Hospital a week when I got there, having her blood fortified with HUman Hemophiliac Factor 8, a rare and expensive IV additive garnered from around the US. 1/2 million $$, which her doc says the insurance must pay for since it is life or death.
Ellie and Ivy and I stayed at Ivy's, except we spent all night Mon and Tues at the hospital with Sharon. She sleeps days and stays up nights anyway, so no way she'd sleep and if left alone she was so scared she'd have run. She had already had a heart cath and not bled, so I was encouraged. Surgeon does hemophiliacs and Jehovah's Witnesses, so is quick, which helps. All concerned, except maybe Ivy, thought it was 50/50. I learned later the doc said 25% to live.
She is off all tubes except chest tubes (drainage from the chest cavity-normal so far) and is in her own room. It is a heart hospital, about 2 years old, so good at what they do. She still has morphine ordered every 1/2 hour, but is up to bathroom.
Last time it was two weeks before she bled again and was rushed to surgery with blood being pumped under pressure into both arms and legs. So far she has had NO blood transfusions. Amazing.
The heart surgery itself was fairly simple, as heart surgery goes, less than an hour skin to skin.
So I'm kinda waiting out the 2 weeks, but feel pretty sure she will recover and do well.
Thanks for all your good thoughts, to Eva for keeping everyone informed, to AfterDinner and Eva and all for kindly doing the gobble gobble thing, and taking care of Pert. I am so glad to be home.