Saturday, January 29, 2005

Kiritsis Dead

8 comments:

the EvaDewer said...

That's kinda wierd. I Googled him for some reason recently. I think it was to see what circumstances pushed him over the edge, fully expecting that I'd be supporting him.

I remember that day so well. It was surreal, and the first time that I remember being enthralled by live televised news. Thanks for the link.

the EvaDewer said...

But the larger question is whether the station should have been plugged into to begin with, Ahern said. "Should we have gone out there 'willy nilly' with our cameras running because we had these new toys in our arsenal?"

In retrospect, Ahern said the answer is no.

"If that thing taught us anything, it's caution and perspective and responsibility," he said. "It taught us a lot about how vulnerable we can be in a situation like that."
That may be what it taught Mike Ahern, but that's not what it taught televised journalism. He must not be paying attention.

the EvaDewer said...

A month or so after this happened, John Belushi performed this as the Saturday Night Live opening. I'm pretty sure the Kiritsis event inspired the idea.

davidly said...

Two fond memories:
1) Kiritsis cussing on TV.

2) Buck Henry on SNL making a suggestive hand gesture.

Ah the seventies. By the way, the Star link has a virus.

alslee said...

Mike Ahearn's lessons notwithstanding, a free and pushy and brave and brash and disrespectful press is still the last bastion protecting us from--or at least informing us of--our government's irresistable march toward a fascism to rival the inquisition. To mix a metaphor or something. Tony was the quintessentail illustration that just because you're paranoid (and crazy, in his case) doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

the EvaDewer said...

I haven't been able to find any data to back that up. I found a synopsis of the case written by his attorney, and they were happy that the prosecution provided plenty of evidence that the Halls hadn't wronged Kiritsis. That played perfectly into the insanity defense, because the defense could easily say "See? He must be crazy. How could a sane man believe that the Halls were out to get him, in the face of this evidence?". The defense team made no effort (at least ultimately, in the trial), to show that the Halls had done anything to Kiritsis that was wrong.

Let me know if you can find anything to the contrary; I'd like to see it.

the EvaDewer said...

Here is the link I referred to.

alslee said...

I printed and read the link to Nile Stanton's account of the trial and surroundings. I keep in mind that Stanton persuaded Tony to use the insanity defense, wanted the Halls to look good, reasonable and innocent of any offence toward his client. I have nothing to cite now, by my recollection of the time was that Hall did steer businesses away from Tony's property, did repossess it, and did make a bundle on it later. I will search for validation of my recollection. That's after I finish the medical log, get all the computers situated--must move desktop down again for Pert-- refi my mortgage on line, file my taxes on line, staple the lights to my ceiling, finish my current art project...oh, to heck with Tony..he's dead. So's Hall, for that matter.