Conversations from my local video rental store.
The clerk, a lovely young local woman, is studying a large book and complaining to another customer: "I haven't had any of this stuff since high school and I'm certainly not going to need any of it in the field I'm going for my master's in."
Customer: "Well, Florida has pretty strict standards."
Clerk: "These eleven letter words and complicated math problems are so ridiculous, I flunked the entrance test once already."
Me: "What are you going for your master's in?"
Clerk: "Secondary education, I'm not dumb, I graduated from Emory University with a 3.5 average. And Emory's a good school."
Me, slightly taken aback: "Well, Honey, if you are going to teach, you never know what you might need to know. I'm sure it will come in handy later."
Clerk: "This complicated math and stuff is ridiculous!"
Me: "Well, good luck next time you take the test."
Clerk: "Oh, I'm not worried. God's going to be with me next time. He'll take care of me and help me through it.?
If we're lucky, this girl will be teaching our children's children someday.
Thursday, June 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Not mine; I had Things 3 and 4 spayed and neutered years ago, and Things 1 and 2 have bolted, with no intention of return for any reason, much less their children's educational needs.
I don't know, depending on her accent, I'd judge this one differently probably. Emory, huh? Maybe the math is rediculously hard. Eleven letters? Man, that *is* a lot. What I do when I teach -and you can tell this to that little lady at the movie rentin' place- is take a big poop right on the carpet in front of the kids Ever' time! And man, that does feel better.
Local accent. Absolutely the epitome of beautiful southern pulchritude and girlish charm. Except for the s*** on her chin, below her grin.
AND, I'm tellin' P on all of you guys for language and disrespect and backtalk.
We'll get to him on Sunday.
Post a Comment