Sunday, June 12, 2005

The EvaDewer's faith is tested

Relative lightweight storm Arlene didn't mean much damage to most people in Florida. Turns out, however, that we (Pinnacle Port) aren't "most people". Because the state not only failed to replenish our beach (we're considered a private beach, so no tax dollars could be used), but in fact took more sand away from us to replenish other beaches, the surf is now crashing against the foundation of our building, removing even more sand as it draws away. There is a video from the local TV station in the link, if you get it today. With any luck, the publicity will get us some help.

Shit. This could get ugly.

8 comments:

KiKiDo said...

Yikes. Here's to strong foundations and weak waves.

Gock said...

They are taking sand away from private beaches? WTF?
If the parties with interest in the private beach shipped in an assload of sand, would they be free to take that sand, too, at a later date?

the EvaDewer said...

Seems a bit queer to me, too. I'm sure it's not as simple as that, but it seems to be what has happened thus far. I don't know how long it can remain in its current state.

Even if/when more sand is plowed in to replenish the beach, it will have a short term (read: this summer) impact on rentals, I'd think. After all, the place is supposed to be on the beach, not in the ocean.

alslee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alslee said...

This really sucks. Maybe if you billed it as 'on the water'. I thought all shoreline was public and belonged to the people (govt.)Are you feeling trapped and helpless.
The doublewide in N. GA. is always available.

Gock said...

Really really. Hope it turns for the better. Gotta ask though - faith in what?

the EvaDewer said...

I should have known better than to have included that phrasing in the title. Faith in my ability to make sound financial decisions, I reckon.

davidly said...

Sorry about your faith. Did you get some pizza?