Sunday, September 19, 2004

Can this really be so?

I hear this one often, but not in such concrete terms. Enter "HR 163", click search, and it should bring up the two page bill to read.

5 comments:

davidly said...

Adds meaning to the name "Wrangle" don´t it?

davidly said...

And by "Wrangle" I, of course, meant "Rangel".

the EvaDewer said...

A couple of thoughts:

1) This has been sitting around for about a year and a half, without popular Congressional support. The tide could turn, but it doesn't mean that this is the direction that it would turn to, even if a draft were reinstated.

2) The significance of this bill, I'm lead to believe, is really to eliminate the ability to avoid service through gender, educational deferment, or conscientious objection. Funny thing, when you look at how often a couple of those were used by members of the current gaggle of leaders (on both sides of the aisle).

alslee said...

I see a whole lot of room for discretion as to who is called and who is exempted here. And what assignment each individual gets. Ever look at the folks getting out of vehicles with handicapped lisence plates and skipping into Wallmart? I am a dyed in the wook skeptic.

Gock said...

That's another beauty thing about the limbo class. They don't get to participate in these wonderful excursions. They just stay here doing "jobs Americans don't want to do" fo $1.00 an hour.