I'm just gonna do my list here. I'll add as I get time.
2001, Summer, Indy:
Saw Quick Med Doc for dizziness. She suspected sinus or ear infection and prescribed ANTIBIOTICS and ANTIHISTAMINE. He took the prescribed medicine which had no effect on the dizziness.
2001, Summer, Indy:
A guy I worked with at Pathways had dizziness and been diagnosed with BPPV. He had been given an Antivert equivalent which had worked. We tried that. No effect on the dizziness.
2002, Fall, GA:
Went to local doctor, had TREADMILL STRESS TEST, CAROTID ARTERY ULTRASOUND, MRI.
Stress Test okay, Carotids wide open as they sould be, MRI showed Degenerrating PITUITARY MACROADENOMA and minimal age-related atrophy.
2002, December, Atlanta:
Had Pituitary adenectomy. Recovery uneventful. Dizziness unabated.
By now symptoms are : Lack of coordination, Disequalibrium, Dizziness, Some trouble swallowing, Some drooling, Excessive frequent yawning, slurred speech.
2003, January, Atlanta:
Evaluated at the Dizziness and Balance Clinic at Emory Hospital, DR. R. Tusa MD.
TESTS: Spontaneous NYS test, Positional NYS Test, Caloric Vest Test, Optokenetic Test, Tacking Test, Vertical Electrodes, Physical evaluation of gait. Dix-Hallpike Test with vidoe infrared recordings.
All tests were within normal limits. Dr. Tusa ruled out BPPV, which is the usual diagnosis everyone wants to work. His final assesment reads as follows:
"1. Chronic imbalance. No physical evidence for this on clinical or laboratory exam. Functional balance componant seen on computerized dynamic posturography.
2. Depression. This is primarily based on the PANAS scale, done on the initial visit.
3. Episodic vertigo in the past, possibly due to BPPV. This is not present now.
I suspect the original trigger when you were playing softball was BPPV, but that since has resolved. Now it is primarily a component of depression which is resulting in the chronic imbalance and dizziness."
RX: Zoloft 25mg. working up to 50mg. for at least 3 months.
Did this, ineffective.
That's all for today folks. Later.
NOTE: I HAVE EDITED DATES HERE, MAKING THEM A YEAR LATER THAT PREVIOUSLY.
Saturday, January 22, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
1) I´m sorry that I don´t have any real medical advise, except to say that KoF thinks that my headaches might be caused by sinus problems, as were hers.
2) Several forms of meditation require breathing in through the nose. This is supposed to better cleanse of the nervous system.
3) Keep him laughing. Give him a little bit of that Shemp.
REPORT FROM PRIMARY DOCTOR ON MRI PENDING VISIT TO NEURO
He says, in his opinion, the atrophy is normal ageing brain. And that the neurologist (whom he originally referred P to) might have a different opinion. Also, he volunteered, with no prompting, that the neurologist might want to do another test--an MRA! This impressed Pert, and me too.
REgarding after's caution, we'll see what the neuro says. I'd hate for fear to prevent us from possibly discovering a solution. Thanks for all and any input. We appreciate any ideas, suggestions, explanations, case histories, etc. IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO SPELL CHECK THESE NOTES WITHOUT USING MY OWN EYEBALLS AND BRAIN? If not, excuse all mistakes.
BACK TO WHERE I LEFT OFF ON HISTORY FROM THE BEGINNING
After P had follow up for pituitary adenectomy, he was seen by on Opthoneurologist at Emory. This was to check if the tumor had damaged his vision(it had very little and the surgery improved it) and to make sure there was no abnormality in that area that could cause the dizziness. Clean bill of health there also. He has seen this doc since, just to follow up and was still fine. Next came the Dizziness & Balance Center, which adventure I previously reported.
2003: January to October
During this time he saw a different local doc who tried B12 and other B vitimins, testosterone, antivert again, nasal steroid spray, (Flonase), blood pressure medicine, thigh high support hose-in case his b/p was dropping when he stood up, no caffeine, no sugar, bottled water. I regularly checked his blood sugar, his bp, unine for ketones. He had numerous blood work ups, Cholesterol, Thyroid, all that stuff, normal. Well, except cholesterol was high. He took Lipitor for a while, then stopped. had andacetylcholine receptor binding antibody test. Normal.
Saw an ENT in Blue Ridge. All okay there.
In the fall of 2003 I got energetic again and made an appointment at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.
2003: October, Mayo Clinic, he say Nephrologist, was examined and tested in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology (ENT), and Department of Neurology. They find nothing except loss of hearing in the upper ranges, which we knew. It was a fun trip though, cold
Actually, it doesn't gross me out, I get great satisfaction from irrigatin ears. The first ENT recommended that P have it done twice a year, which I do. I may have him start irrigating his sinuses too, as soon as my Neti pot arrives from India. No joke.
I hear the Indians have the best weed. Good plan.
Somebody read this. I'm going to bed.
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic290.htm
I am touched by AfterDinner's willingness to delve into details about her family and their ailments in an effort to help us figure out Pert's problem.
Is Neti Pot related to Pol Pot? I'm confused about Krackola's political views and how they relate to Pert's ailments.
When the nice girl lady doctor helper at the military hospital in Altus, Oklahoma removed a sizeable chunk of wax from my ear I exclaimed, "Hey, let´s smoke it!" She was not amused, or more probably didn´t get it.
Not a bad idea, though, as long as we´re gettin´ wasted.
I wish I had something worthwhile to contribute. My family has cancer, bipolarism, depression, corotid arteries, seizures, hip replacements, prostate trouble, chronic spinal issues and alcoholism, you would think with all that I could offer a little insight. I'll keep my nose to the ground.
By the way, my Dad can't hear a damn thing anymore, where do you buy this earball shovel anyway?
GOOD GAWD AMIGHTY, 11:11PM on our anniversary (thank you all for reminding us) (no maggots in the candy) Here me 'n' Pert sit, side by side in front of the fireplace, him playing SuperMahjong (thanks Daphne)on my laptop which I brought down for him to use because the desktop he uses won't play Mahjong. It keeps shutting the thing down. So I am sitting beside him on line with the desktop. This is not exactly how I envisioned it going when I set out to acclimate him to the internet/computer/e-mail/ thang.
I may have to give him the laptop. This Mahjong thing is challenging and "pretty" and "has nice sounds" and Pert "enjoys it" and I gotta go to my room now. BTW Prt fixed us porkchops and fried okra and mashed potatoes and chopped onion and jalapenos for supper.
ONGOING UPDATE
Pert has decided his symptoms indicate labrynthitis and made an appointment with his primary care person for tomorrow. He plans to tell the guy he wants to be treated for laberinthitis and see what happens, since. he can't see the neurologist till March. He has been treated for labyrinthitis at least two times since the beginning, but WTF, it couldn't hurt. Soon I plan to have him ask for feel-good drugs to help him get through the trials of his intractable condition, (laborinsitis/vestibular confusion or not.) Of course, he won't get to take them, I will.
Good luck to Pert with the next round of treatment. I never stop thinking positively on his behalf....and negatively on mine.
PERT BACK FROM LOCAL DOC
who prescribed Meclazine (like Antivert) for the dizziness and said maybe the neurologist would find something else. He also said if Pert ever decided he did want to do rehab/therapy at the Balance and Dizziness Clinic in Atlanta he would refer Pert there.
I suggest you all read the whole article to be found at
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/fulltext/9273.htm
We will continue to search and eventually I wil get the last years tests posted.
Mary Jane, across the street on McCarthy, Glen knows her, called us some time ago excited to tell us there was a Balance & Dizziness Clinic at the IU Med Center. Today I suggested to Pert that after this neurologist in March we do a trip to the IU Med Center Balance & Dizziness Clinic. Pert says " one thing at a time.
I finally got the xmas lights down today while P was at the doc. I plan to staple them to the ceiling in the sleep alcove in my room.
Thanks again for all your input.
What OML mean he think negatively on his own behalf?
Is this the 3rd pass for Antivert or equivalent? I've got that he got some in the summer of 2001 (based on a friend's suggestion) and again some time in 2003. Is this a different variety, or just a standard issue when a new doc starts looking at him?
At least 3rd. First at friend's suggestion. Second some doc prescribed. Third, after much futile search I suggested he double the amount and try it for a while, which he did, to no avail. This is just the local doc's answer to "Nothing else helps, treat me for labrynthinitis." Sort of a take two aspirin and see your neurologist later, you can't get in trouble with this, in my opinion. And I agree, can't hurt, and action feels better than no action sometimes. P says it is definitely getting worse. I'm going to talk firmly to the neurologist next time, whether I seem like a pushy butinski or not. We, editorially, have decided to try the Prozac again for several months. I have turned the typewriter on now, and demonstrated it's functions and joys. Nada yet. Gratitude to all again.
The negatively on my behalf comment was a bad joke that makes no sense, in an attempt to let Pert know that I love and think about him, and then make a joke to defend myself from the gaga gooeyness of it.
Anyway, like all of you, my thoughts are with you all, and especially Pert. Somebody tell him a better joke.
"To let Pert know that I love and think about him."
Christ. What a Mo.
Post a Comment