Monday, January 10, 2005

They say Spain is pretty, but I've never been

What's the latest on the planning for koala's spanish expedition?

16 comments:

the EvaDewer said...

It's quiet in here.


Too quiet.

KiKiDo said...

Is everyone afraid to commit? I know I am.

alslee said...

afterdinner wins the prize for succinctness, truth, and wit, not necessarily in that order.
Firstly, I have yet another sinus infection for which I am taking mega antibiotics and another horse pill for drainage and I am so nauseated, foulsmelling, and disgusting that I can't stand to stay in the same house with me, which makes it difficult as we don't have that many houses. This has been chronic for months now and I put off seeing my health care informtion/advice/prescription provider because I hate the drugs, consequently I feel like crap and at the moment would rather be in the place WC was when he said he's rather be in Philly.
Men are pressure washing Pert's house in preparation for painting.
Pert staggers around here like a drunk, but is in the best of spirits. The MRI he was scheduled to have today was postponed until tomorrow.
I'm getting to the subject, just be patient.
I can't imagine him walking around abroad and enjoying it.When I suggested renting a collapsible wheelchair to push him around Spain and elsewhere in Europe he said he'd have to think about it. Then he says maybe after the MRI, after he sees the nuerologist in Dalton again, (March 14), later, he may be better. Which attitude may explain his "best of spirits." He says the only reason he would want to go is to see Dip, whom for some strange reason he refers to as "David."
I don't want to leave him here alone. I keep hoping some magic will happen and it will all be okay. Then there's the granny/glenna thing.
Either some fine day I will hop a plane and go, or I won't.
Lastly, I was relieved when everyone, except for OML, who is already in the vicinity, said s/he couldn't afford it, couldn't take off work, or just hadn't been able to face the planning (which I certainly understand).
So, in answer to the question, Quien Sabe?????????

the EvaDewer said...

Koala - Sorry you're feeling punky. That sucks. There is a wholotta shit going around. I've just finished it (sort of), and Afterdinner is in the midst of it. Nothing compared to your season-long malady, though.

MRI for Pert's birthday? Good a day as any, I guess. Hope he gets a good birthday present and they find something. (Can you believe that I'm hoping the MRI "finds something"? Shit.) Please lemme know if I can help tote, or join, or anything.

KiKiDo said...

The latest posts on this topic are perfect segways into: a friend of mine says that Pert should have that chalk/dye test through the arteries (to discover the status of heart, arteries, veins). A woman she knew was dizzy, fumbling a bit with her hands; no one could figure out her issues until some intern at a hospital did this test and discovered arteries clogged like a, like a, like mine are probably. Anyway, has this been done? I'm guessing it has, but I felt compelled to chime in.

KiKiDo said...

Also, it's really "they say Spain is pretty, though I've never been."

alslee said...

If they say Spain is pretty, they say it. It matters not whether you've been there. They say what they say, regardless. But so you trust what they say.
In the beginning Pert had a stress test which involved a treadmill and monitoring of his heart via EKG. He was of course better than anyone half his age or something like that. He had his carotid arteries xrayed and they were unobstructed. (those go to the brain from the heart. However, no other heart or artery testing, with chalk or dye, has been done that I can think of. I'm don't know what it would be, the test you speak of. I'll ask him to ask his doc in March about that.

the EvaDewer said...

Afterdinner's dad went in for dizziness, and it turned out to be a blockage that required an angioplasty (in his leg? does that make sense?). They used dye to locate where the angioplasty should be performed.

KiKiDo said...

That's it I think. That process (dye to find the blockage) sounds like the one my friend mentioned.

alslee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alslee said...

Pert has had tests which diagnosed nueropathy, which tests reflexes and nerve conduction in his limbs. So he went to a person who specialized in nueropathy (found via the net) in Atlanta, I think. The person said it ws so mild as to be insignificant.
He has, however, never had dye injected to check leg blood circulation. He, when asked just now, says that wouldn't cause his dizziness. I agree that that wouldn't cause the conditions he is experiencing. There is more than dizziness, you know. There is the speech, saliva, coordination, equilibrium, endurance. But we will discuss it further. Thank you all for your loving concern and searching for solutions. ...serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the diff...

the EvaDewer said...

I apologize for the long post forthcoming. Please read it all, and act on or react to it:

I hear you with respect to paying attention to all symptoms, as we should. However, it seems like the initial symptom at play (dizziness) can beget several of the others over time, so I wouldn't discount partial solutions to some symptoms too quickly.

That said, I know it's also not as if there's no risk associated with the dye test; those risks are typically associated with long-time smokers, though, I think. It's easy for us to say "just go run this test, too", just because it hasn't been run.

I've done a bad job of keeping track of what tests have been run, and what possibilities have been explored. At this point, Pert (rightly so) believes that all possible tests have been run, and nothing found. I don't blame him, it must certainly feel that way. It would be nice, though, to compile a complete list of symptoms he has, tests that have been run, and treatments that you've tried, from diet to drugs. I'll try to put together a place to access that if we could put our heads together to put together a list of that kind, complete with timeline.

Sometimes it's difficult and painful to get our hopes up again, at least for me. I can't imagine how difficult it is for koALa, much less Pert. I'll do anything in the world to help; please let me know where I can. Nothing, nothing, nothing is more important.

alslee said...

Isn't it interesting that we wind up doing all this on the "Spain: site.
I do have a list such as you suggest, which also includes symptom and when they were noticed, copies of which I used to send with Pert to all new doctors, labs, quacks, whatever. Since he hasn't been to a brand new one for a while it needs to be updated. I will get right on that and have it ready for you by return mail. (Joke) I will update it and get you all a clen copy, later. He had the MRI today. We wait, hoping, oddly, as you say, to find something.
I do appreciate your diplomacy in presenting suggestions, but please don't worry that I will take anything any of you say as criticism or second guessing. I do understand how you feel. It is probably harder on you guys than on me, the emotional part anyway, because I'm here every day and see all the good things.

the EvaDewer said...

Has he had an MRA? I'd like to find out if there's any chance of plaque buildup in his arteries.

alslee said...

I have printed the MRA site and given it to Pert to take with to the next doc's appt.

alslee said...

I am working on the medical info flow chart, schematic, database, report, accounting and journey into the past, but I'm pretty slow with data bases so don't hold your collective breaths. It might make you dizzy. I wish I knew how to make the smiley face thing. HHH